- Library Assistant II (Limited-term), General Collections Circulation, Getty Research Institute
- This is limited-term position until June 13, 2019.
- The Getty Research Institute seeks a limited-term fulltime Library Assistant II.
- Located at the GRI’s Library Annex in Valencia, California 91355, the Library Assistant will work both independently and within a team environment, focusing on the ongoing tasks associated with the circulation of materials in a library setting, including pulling, sorting, and reshelving books and charging and discharging materials using the Alma library system.
- Additional tasks may include assisting in the management of the workflow for the assessment and circulation of identified books and serials and managing multiple spreadsheets while working on a large-scale Getty Research Portal digitization project (http://portal.getty.edu).
- May perform physical processing of material such as marking, housing, repair, and evaluate the condition of materials.
Major Job Responsibilities
- May assist and resolve moderately complex problems for staff and library users
- May process interlibrary loan lending and borrowing requests online
- May assist in processing, caring for, and reformatting collections
- Use various library software applications to execute moderately complex transactions
- Participate in special projects as assigned
- Maintain the general collections stacks
- Assist with the ongoing tasks associated with the circulation of materials including pulling, sorting, and reshelving books and serials
- Check materials in and out using the Alma library system
- Manage multiple speadsheets for the digitization project
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related discipline
- 2-3 years experience in library setting
- Reading knowledge in at least one foreign language preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Experience with industry standard software suites as appropriate to assigned duties
- Experience with library circulation systems, bibliographic databases, and library specific software application preferred
- Ability to handle rare and unique materials with care
- Experience handling fragile or brittle materials preferred
- Physical activity for extended periods at various times throughout the day including lifting library materials weighing up to 40 pounds and pushing heavy book carts
- Ability to climb industrial ladders required in order to page and shelve from the collections
- Good manual dexterity required
- Ability to manage large spreadsheets